Mindfulness & Meditation

Last night, I had dinner with my extended family and a big topic of conversation was mindfulness and meditation. Practicing mindful meditation, in which an individual focuses on bringing their attention to the present moment, has been hailed as a stress-reducer, health-booster and all around health-improver.

A few months ago, I read Thich Nhat Hanh's Peace is Every Step, which was one of the most transformative pieces of literature I've come across. One of the most important takeaways from the book is recognizing both positive and negative emotions in order to find inner peace. Whether you feel frustration, happiness or confusion, taking a moment to recognize an emotion in the present moment allows you to work through it, rather than push it aside. Since reading Peace is Every Step, I've added a few other books to my mindful meditation reading list (see below), most recently another Thich Nhat Hanh book called The Miracle of Mindfulness, and have also attended more yoga classes, combining my commitment to personal fitness, with the power of meditation.

Now what exactly, is this power I'm referencing?

Over the past few months, I have noticed huge changes both mentally and physically since meditating and practicing mindfulness (especially mindful breathing). I have written about my love of an app called Headspace (check it out here), and have followed countless guided meditations from the program. After spending just 10 minutes meditating at the end of each day, I notice decreased stress, increased mental clarity and a general sense of calm, which helps me rest easy. I have also experienced a few unexpected positive changes. For example, I pay more attention to what I'm eating,  I am more aware of how my body is feeling and I feel more in tune and in control of my emotions.

If you're looking to incorporate a new, healthful practice into your daily routine, check out these books—


xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment