Spring Training: A Season for Healthy Habits


 If you haven't noticed, I (and my Type A) personality am all about fresh starts, which is one of the many reasons I love spring. Warmer weather has me outdoors much more often enjoying the sunshine and fresh air, which has also prompted me to think of ways to re-center my body and mind by forming healthy habits that I hope will last me a lifetime. 

I am often surprised by how closely my mood, productivity and general happiness levels follow my lifestyle choices. And I'm not talking about obvious things like feeling horrible due to junk food consumption (I don't eat it) or general physical laziness (I move), but much smaller things such as getting 7-8, rather than say 6, hours of sleep per night, eating an exceptionally rich meal over the weekend or skipping the gym for a few days in a row. While I don't strive for superhuman physical capabilities or want to fit into a certain size, I do know that I'm much happier when I am active and healthy.

Here are my ideas for kick starting healthy habits today

1. Hydrate upon waking. I am definitely one of those people who goes immediately for the cup of coffee once my alarm goes off. However, I end up feeling dehydrated a little while later. Therefore, I'm trying to start my day with a couple of glasses of ice cold water to wake up my body before I reach for my morning latte. Pretty easy, right?

2. Boost brainpower. There is nothing worse than waking up late for class/work and showing up totally frazzled. I've inconsistently started my day by working on NYT's crossword puzzle, but want to make this an actual daily habit that will allow my brain to get thinking before I have to do anything too substantial.

3. Endorphins, endorphins, endorphins. One of the greatest pleasures in life (I think) is that feeling after an especially tough workout. That salty, sweaty but simultaneously energizing sensation is good for my mind and body. I aim for 30 minutes of cardio per day.

4. Eat colorfully. One of my best friends shared this motto with me lately, saying that she focuses much more on nutrition and variety of foods than following any specific diet. Also, I think this would be a way to make eating salads (which I admittedly hate) much more enjoyable and delicious. 

5. Streeeeeeeetchhhhhhh. One of my greatest athletic shortcomings is my tendency to skip stretching after I work out. I'm decently flexible to begin with so I don't usually feel like I need to cool down after a work out which is such a mistake. I am trying to build long, lean muscles without injuring myself so I'm committing to spending an extra 10 minutes at the gym stretching post-workout.

What are your healthy habits?
xoxo,
Ashley

P.S. Like those adorable Nikes pictured above? Shop them here.



No comments:

Post a Comment