Good Jeans: The Couturist's Denim Guide

Big announcement: I started wearing pants. Often.

For those of you who know me, you know this is a big deal. I rarely wear pants. Once my best friend barely recognized me when she saw me walking on campus in jeans and a sweatshirt during finals period (granted, I also hadn't showered). Regardless, it wasn't until I found the right jeans that I became comfortable with wearing anything other than my tried and true a-line skirt and pullover sweater combo.

Here is my guide to finding a pair of jeans you'll be excited to wear every day:

via Pinterest

1. Perfect proportions. Magazines always tell you that a certain cut of denim looks best only on a certain body type. I beg to differ. I think any cut can work on any body if they are tailored correctly. I love a good skinny jean, and I discovered a great tip about their fit: for long, lean legs they should hit just above the ankle (same concept as bracelet-length sleeves and boat-neck shirts). Same goes for baggy boyfriend jeans. Flared jeans should just skim the ground regardless of the shoes you are wearing (it would be ideal to buy one pair tailored for heels and one tailored for flats). Boot cut jeans also look best at this length.

2. Focus on fade. Hands down the most flattering denim wash fades from the center of the thigh (where it is lightest) to the outside of the thigh (darkest to streamline the leg). Regardless of whether you prefer light or dark wash, use this tip to make your legs look leaner.

3. Cue the cuff. I love the look of cuffed or rolled jeans. It is the easiest way to hem a pair of pants, especially skinny or boyfriend cut. However, it is worth the extra money to get jeans perfectly hemmed. Most stores offer complimentary denim hemming as jeans tend to run a little long.

4. Sample different sizes. I am always shocked when I look at the variety of pant sizes I own. No two brands fit the same. I always take two or three sizes of the same pair of jeans into the dressing room and force myself to try all three on. Even if you think something fits well, sometimes going up or down one size makes a pair of pants fit that much better.

5. Try a tuck. When pairing a top with jeans, I often just tuck in the front of my shirt. This elongates my legs and shows off whatever belt I am wearing.

6. Make it monochrome. When I was first transitioning to wearing pants more often, I was afraid my legs wouldn't look as long as they do in skirts with tights. I started buying black denim and pairing it with black boots, which is a look I still sport. So flattering!

7. Pretty and pointed. Another flattering way to wear jeans is with pointy toe shoes, especially in a neutral color. I love pairing jeans with pointed booties, heels or flats.

Shop my favorite denim by clicking on one of the following links—

All-around best denim: rag & bone (shop here), DL 1961 (shop here)
Best skinny jeans: Madewell (shop here), J Brand (shop here)
Best bootcut jeans: Frame (shop here).
Best boyfriend jeans: 6397 (shop here) , AG (shop here)
Best flared jeans: Hudson (shop here)

Follow my denim inspiration board on Pinterest here.

xoxo,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment